Category: Working With Movers
Get a free estimate
Moving anxiety is a real thing and it can be caused by upcoming or already carried out relocation. Some people are stressed because of all the work they need to do. While others get stressed out after the relocation since the process of accommodation is long and slow.
No matter what kind of relocation stress you are dealing with right now, here are some simple tips and tricks that will help you handle the transition shock with ease.
Understand The Roots Of Moving Anxiety
What makes moving so stressful? The fact of the matter is, there’s no one cause of stress when it comes to a big move. Instead, it’s a bunch of smaller things that add up to make moving one of the more stressful things that many of us will ever do.
- Change – Every move carries some big changes along with it. You’re changing your location, the layout of your home, and maybe even your friends and your job. These changes are unavoidable, and even good changes can be a little scary. It’s okay to feel a little anxious at the thought of a big change, even if you know it’s for the best.
- Cost – Of course, one of the biggest pain points for anyone making a major move is money. Most of the time, moving your things is not something that you can do alone. Even if you’re a fan of minimalist living and you can fit all of your possessions into the back of your car, there are still costs associated with moving into a new house or apartment. For many people, money (or a lack of it) is a big source of stress, so it’s no wonder that it compounds the stress related to moving.
- Time – Relocation process simply takes so much time! Whether you’re moving out of state, to the other side of the world, or just down the block, it takes time to get yourself and your possessions settled into your new place. This isn’t a restful time, though. When you’re moving, you can expect to be driving a truck, carrying heavy loads, or unpacking your things. Having to put your life on hold while you get your move sorted out can be stressful, especially in light of the major changes that you’re making.
What are the most common symptoms of moving anxiety?
Small amounts of stress can be helpful. Stress helps us to buckle down and meet deadlines or accomplish difficult tasks. However, stress can easily start to spiral out of control. It’s important to recognize the symptoms of too much stress and to know when it’s time to press down on the brakes and take a breather.
- Emotional symptoms – If you’re feeling sad, depressed, and hopeless then you are dealing with emotional stress. Also, pay attention to things like – avoiding people, you are easily angered and annoyed. You have a hard time relaxing and sleeping. Overwhelmed by all of the things you need to do.
- Physical symptoms – Stress doesn’t affect only our emotions, it will take out on your body and overall physical health as well. Too much stress will manifest in a physical way. You will experience things like aches and chest pain. Headaches and insomnia are very common. Your body will become more prone to sickness or infection. Losing or gaining weight is also expected.
- Cognitive symptoms – Your ability to think clearly will be compromised. Stress will lead to difficulty focusing on one thing. You will be more disorganized and forgetful. Persistent worrying and impaired judgment are the results of stress.
- Behavioral symptoms – When moving anxiety hits you will feel lost. Your behavior will change for the worse. You’ll start avoiding duties and responsibilities.
Tips To Manage Moving Anxiety
When stress accumulates and becomes too much to handle, it will negatively affect your mental and physical health. That is why we made a list of things you can do to prevent or reduce moving anxiety.
The right attitude is everything!
Excessive stress can make us pessimistic, causing us to lose focus on the task at hand and bog ourselves down in more stress. When you’re moving, try to adopt a can-do attitude to help you through the tough parts.
Focus on the positives, like meeting new people, exploring a new area, and finding fun activities to do in your new place. Even if it’s just one little thing, like being close to an interesting restaurant, keeping that positivity in your mind can help you to mitigate your stress.
Try to remember that the move itself is only temporary. You only have to move all of your things once and you can settle into your new location. There was probably a time when your current home was new to you, so remind yourself that you’ve been through this before and you can get through it again.
Don’t leap into the unknown, do a research
The main reason why moving is so stressful is because of all the major changes happening all at once. Do your research before you move, and figure out what your new location is like. Learn where are the best roads to travel on, and the nearest grocery stores and restaurants. When you are armed with this knowledge, you will start to feel comfortable and more in tune with your new home.
Don’t forget to make a checklist
Nothing beats moving ancestry better than good organization. When you know what you need to do and when there are small chances that you will feel frustrated or stressed.
A moving checklist will bring some order to the chaos of moving. By breaking your move down into manageable steps you will save your nerves and mental health. You’ll also feel a rush of satisfaction and accomplishment when you check of an item.
Here are some most important things for your list:
- Make a deposit payment for your new place on time;
- Acquire enough boxes and crates for packing;
- Make a travel plan. This must include the best routes, all the potential break stops, and how many trips you will need to take.
- Packing everything at least a few days before the moving date;
- Renting a storage unit;
- Renting a reliable moving company;
- Calculating your budget;
- Reducing the amount of cargo.
It is time for decluttering
Moving is always accompanied by a long cleaning process. This is when you will notice how many unnecessary things we’ve accumulated in time. Get read of all the junk that you know you won’t need.
By decluttering your home long before the big move rolls around, you can make it a lot easier for yourself on moving day.
Don’t prolong, start on time
As with almost anything, leaving all of your packing, cleaning, and moving until the last minute will likely multiply your stress considerably. Some parts of your move, like decluttering, can be done weeks or even months before you move. Others, like packing, can be done slowly over a few days or weeks, leaving only the essential items until the last minute.
Ask for help
Everything is easier when you have company. Don’t feel ashamed for asking the help. You can ask your friends and family, or you can hire professional help.
The most important thing to remember is that you don’t have to and you can’t do it all by yourself! It’s okay to look for help when it comes to packing, moving your heavier things, or even just bringing some food on your busy moving day.
If the job is too big for your small moving team you should hire professional movers. Professional movers are usually familiar with all of the tricks of getting large items like couches or refrigerators out of your old house and into your new one.
If you are moving to another city or country it is time to say goodbye
Moving away from your city or country is hard and it can be heartbreaking. No matter how excited you are about the upcoming move and your fresh lifestyle, saying goodbye to your friends, your favorite places and your old home will bring you down.
However, this is an important step in moving on. Take the time to say a proper goodbye and appreciate all the time and memorize what you created together. Let your last memories of your old home be the best possible ones.
Fight The Moving Anxiety With Zenith Moving Company
How can you find enough time to say goodbye to your friends and family if you are too busy packing and planning your upcoming move? If you know you have just a few more weeks or months left in the city why don’t you make the most out of that time and leave the rest to us?
Zenith Moving Company is the best friend you didn’t even know you need. We want you to have as much time as you can with your loved ones and prevent any possible anxiety attacks by doing everything instead of yourself.
Contact us here and we will make an offer that you wouldn’t want to miss out on!