Are you considering moving to Fort Greene with your family? Well, we must agree, that is a great decision. Fort Greene is one of the most loved parts of Brooklyn with a tight-knit family-oriented community. One of the biggest reasons is because it is easily accessible, and very diverse. We can all agree that when moving with a family it is crucial to find a practical neighborhood, where everything is in your reach.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
However, this neighborhood isn’t only known for its practicality, it is also very eye pleasing. If you desire to live in a neighborhood with lush and gorgeous greenery, beautiful architecture (brownstones are everywhere), and with a lot of fun activities available for choosing, then Fort Greene is your go to choice!
This area is crowded with artisan shops, flea markets, renowned cultural institutions, and a thriving entertainment scene. In case this information were enough to make your decision you can skip the reading and start thinking about your next move. Do you know what that is? Finding a reliable moving company. Luckily for you, Zenith Moving is one of the best moving companies in whole NYC area.
Meet The Neighborhood
Fort Greene is generally considered as a desirable neighborhood to live in, especially among the families with young kids. Brooklyn is well known for its tree-lined streets, historic brownstones, cultural institutions, and proximity to many parks. However, like any other borough, there are specific factors that can make the location less desirable depending on your preferences, budget, and needs. Before rushing your relocation we advise you to do a thorough research on your own after reading this article, since Brooklyn in general isn’t the most affordable place for living.
Rental and real estate market
As we already mentioned Fort Greene is located in the northwestern part of Brooklyn. The bad news is that this part of the borough became a very popular residential area in the past few years, which raised the real estate prices significantly. This part of the city is suitable for people who want to live in a convenient location with easy access to Manhattan while at the same time, they are far away from bustling NYC streets and traffic jams.
When you consider all this, it is no surprise why the housing and rental market in Fort Greene is quite competitive. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Fort Greene is around $4,500 per month, and the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment is around $7,000 per month. Of course, some rental prices go lower considering their location and amenities are not so attractive to say so.
In case you are thinking about purchasing a home before moving to Fort Greene, you should know that the median home value is around $1.5 million. The great thing about Fort Greene is that there is a wide range of housing options available, including brownstones, townhouses, and apartment buildings.
Overall, the housing and rental market is very dynamic and competitive, so when you find the real estate that suits your budget and needs the best make sure you act on it fast or you’ll lose it.
Commuting and public transportation
A lot of people choose Fort Greene as their new residential area since it is well-connected with all parts of the Ne York City, especially Manhattan, which is the center of the NYC universe. Commuting is relatively easy for its residents, there are many public transportation options available in Fort Greene. Here are the most popular ones:
- Subway – Fort Greene is served by several subway lines, including the G, B, D, N, Q, R, and 2, 3, 4, 5. These lines provide quick access to other parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan.
- Bus – The neighborhood is also served by several bus routes, including the B38, B52, B54, B69, and B25, among others. These buses connect Fort Greene to other parts of Brooklyn and Queens.
- Citi Bike – There are several Citi Bike stations located throughout Fort Greene, making it easy to commute by bike or use a bike for short trips around the neighborhood.
- Car – While Fort Greene is relatively bike and pedestrian-friendly, many residents also use cars to commute. However, parking can be challenging in the neighborhood, and traffic can be heavy during rush hour.
This neighborhood is also relatively walkable and bike-friendly, providing alternative transportation options for those who prefer not to use public transportation.
Local Attractions And Amenities
Fort Greene can be proud of its rich cultural history and a wide range of amenities for residents and visitors to enjoy. This vibrant neighborhood has plenty of cultural amenities and local attractions that you should definitely visit:
- Start with Fort Greene Park – This is a 30-acre park that features plenty of playgrounds, sports fields, and picnic areas, and historic sites such as the Prison Ship Martyrs’ Monument.
- BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) – This institution is a world-renowned performing arts center that hosts a wide range of performances, including theater, dance, music, and film.
- BRIC Arts Media House – A multidisciplinary arts and media organization that hosts exhibitions, performances, and screenings, as well as classes and workshops.
- Theatre for a New Audience – A theater company that presents classic and contemporary works of theater, as well as educational programming.
- MoCADA (Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts) – This spectacular museum showcases the work of artists from the African diaspora, with a focus on contemporary art.
- Mark Morris Dance Center – Dance studio and performance space that offers classes and workshops for all ages and levels.
- Greenlight Bookstore – An independent bookstore that hosts author events, book clubs, and other literary programming.
- Shops and restaurants on Fulton Street – Fulton Street is the main commercial street in Fort Greene. Here you will find a wide range of shops, restaurants, and cafes to explore.
- Brooklyn Flea market – The Brooklyn Flea is an outdoor market that takes place on Saturdays in Fort Greene, with a wide range of vintage and artisanal goods for sale.
Pros And Cons Of Moving To Fort Greene
As with any neighborhood, there are both pros and cons when it comes to moving. Overall, this neighborhood is a great place for living for those people who can afford to pay higher end rents and amenities. Here are some of the key advantages and disadvantages you should take into consideration when making this big decision.
- Location – Fort Greene is located in the heart of Brooklyn, making it easy to access other parts of the city. It is also close to Manhattan, making it a convenient location for commuters.
- Historical architecture – The neighborhood has a rich history and is home to many well-preserved historic buildings and homes.
- Cultural amenities – Fort Greene has a rich cultural history and a wide range of amenities, including parks, museums, performing arts centers, and more.
- Diversity – Fort Greene is a diverse neighborhood with a mix of residents from different backgrounds, cultures, and age groups.
- Walkability and public transportation – Fort Greene is a walkable neighborhood, with many shops, restaurants, and amenities located within walking distance. When you need to leave the premises of your neighborhood you can easily do that thanks to great public transportation system.
- Cost of living – Fort Greene is a popular neighborhood, and as such, housing and other costs of living can be higher than in other parts of Brooklyn.
- Busy streets – Some of the main streets in Fort Greene can be busy and congested, especially during rush hour.
- Limited parking space -Parking in Fort Greene can be challenging, and many residents opt to use public transportation or bikes instead.
- Limited green space – While Fort Greene Park is a beautiful and expansive green space, it may not be enough for those who prioritize access to large parks and open spaces.
- Noise – Being located in a bustling city means there may be noise from traffic, nightlife, and other sources that some may find challenging.
Start Planning On Time
You do know that moving to Fort Greene doesn’t have to be a taunting task when you have the right people behind your back. Hiring a moving company like Zenith Moving will make the process of relocation stress-free, quick, and safe.