Tips for packing antiques & collectibles
Get a free estimate
If you are packing antiques & collectibles, you have definitely come to the right place. Our moving company will help you out with everything when this one is concerned. Moreover, we have prepared a really good moving guide for you. Your antiques and collectibles require some really special attention. Moreover, you will also need to be extra careful when you are transporting those goods. Otherwise, you might damage or break them during the transport process. Fortunately, there are some really easy ways to make sure your items are protected. Feel free to continue reading our guide if you wish to find out more about it.
Packing antiques & collectibles 101
There are some easy tips and tricks you can use to pack safely. However, you should also realize that speeding up the packing process might not be the best idea, so make sure to do it on time. Here is what you should do:
- Find really good supplies. Make sure to find the best moving boxes Manhattan offers for this one. You will need professional moving equipment. Thus, look for layered moving boxes. They are sturdier and they can protect your items better. Also, make sure to have enough bubble wrap and styrofoam.
- Find information about packing fragile items. Now that you have good packing and moving supplies, you will need to learn how to properly pack it. We will talk about it a bit later, but if you have something in specific, it might be the best idea to look that up. Storing modern artwork, for example, will require some special services.
- Contact someone to help you pack if you need it. There is no shame in calling a professional packing company to help you with your relocation. Zenith Moving NYC can help you out with any type of packing. Feel free to give us a call and we will be there to sort your relocation out for you.
How to pack your antique items?
The best idea when this one is concerned is to pack each item separately. Of course, depending on the size of the item, you might need moving boxes of different sizes. If you followed our instructions, you will have professional moving and packing supplies. This will make your part of the job easier a lot. Imagine if you are moving far away, to Seattle, for example, and you have bad moving boxes? You will be lucky if you had one of your antique items unscathed after your transport arrives. So, having really good supplies is the key to this one.
Depending on the type of the item, you might need some really special items. Also, the packing process might completely be different. So, you should try to learn how to pack your antiques separately. The key is to prevent any type of damage to them during the move. However, you might also cause some damage when you are packing them. Imagine what would happen if you are packing a really old clock and it stops working because you did not handle it well enough? Call some professional Manhattan moving services before you damage something.
Packing antiques & collectibles – what else can you do about it?
There are some other things you can do when this one is concerned. We have mentioned that you will have to pack everything individually and with care. However, you also need to be thinking about the reverse process – unloading and unpacking. Here is how to do it:
- Unloading your antiques & collectibles. You will have to make sure that you did not bring your antique items all the way to your destination to ruin them now. So, you will need to be extra careful when you are unloading them. It is never a bad idea to read something more about it. In most cases, you will be loading your antique items and collectibles last. This will ensure that they are safer during the move than they would be if you placed them first. So, you will be taking them out first. Make sure that no damage was caused to them during the move.
- Unpacking your antiques & collectibles. Now that you have relocated safely, you should focus on your unpacking process. However, since your antique items are fragile more often than not, you should unpack them last. Simply leave them in their moving boxes (they are well-protected there) and unpack the rest of your belongings. Then, you can unpack them, but only after your other items have been unpacked beforehand. Add this to your the-night-before-the-move checklist!
Is there anything else you need to be thinking about?
There are some other things you should be thinking about when this is concerned. For example, you should consider hiring a professional moving company to help you pack your items. This is true especially if you have never relocated before. Packing is a process you need to learn by making attempts and mistakes. However, learning how to pack on your antique items might NOT be a good idea. Thus, you should get some packing help if you wish to complete everything as it should be completed.
Your collectibles, usually, go in special collectible boxes or packages. If you have saved those, you can simply put them back and pack them together with the box they came in from. Of course, real collectibles should never be taken out of their boxes in the first place. This is actually good for you – you only have to wrap the boxes and you will be good to go. In most cases, your collectibles will be packed for you already. All you need to do is to sort them out and you will be good to go.
Packing antiques & collectibles – final thoughts
When you are packing antiques & collectibles, you might want to think about calling someone to help you out. Why? Well, your antiques are really old and valuable and if you leave them in the hands of the professionals, they might do the packing process better than you. Your goal is, after all, to prevent something from happening to them. Thus, go along those lines and you should be fine.
Get Your Free Moving Estimate Now!
Whether you are relocating around the corner, across NYC, or nationwide – Zenith Moving is among the best movers in Manhattan to contact!GET QUOTE